Attach electrical tape to the conductors. They could cause a spark, which is unlikely to cause a fire, and if they short together, it could cause your phone to stop working.
Is it safe to cut old telephone wires?
A: Cable and phone wires dont carry current, so its safe to remove them. However, its critical not to cut into a power line, as you know. Find it by doing a Web search for the words “Pepco equipment responsibility.” The wire to your house is Pepcos responsibility; past the weather head, its yours.
Are phone lines dangerous?
While telephone lines do have 48 volts of electricity running through them, its usually not enough to cause a shock, though it may affect a pacemaker. The electricity in a phone line does spike to around 90 volts when the phone rings, which can give a mild shock.
Does old wiring have to be removed?
Over time, parts of it can become damaged or deteriorated and may present a serious fire or shock hazard. But age alone doesnt mean wiring is inherently unsafe, nor does old wiring automatically have to be replaced.
Can you touch a live wire with rubber gloves?
DO NOT WORK ON LIVE CIRCUITS Gloves can be bought at many DIY stores - they are labeled as gloves for electric works and rated for some specific voltage. However gloves alone dont guarantee protection. It is possible that some energized wire touches your body above the glove and you can get shocked.
How do I hide an old phone jack?
Hide the phone jack with a message board made of cork, a dry erase board or a chalkboard. If the jack sticks out too far for the message board to hang flat against the wall, attach a thin, empty picture frame to the back of the board to hold it away from the wall.
Who is responsible for overhead telephone cables?
All telephone lines from the exchange to your house point are the responsibility of BTs Open Reach division. They wont let anyone else touch it. Your telephone service provider i.e. Talk Talk should liase with BT open reach to get it repaired. However they appear to quote a BT Engineer call out of £100??